Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Day 14 - Friday, June 4th

After breakfast this morning, Fiona and I worked outside for a while. I finished covering the potatoes with all of that awesome poop. Then I weeded the carrot patch for a while. I think weeding might be my new favorite thing. It just looks so pretty when you're done. It is a lot of work though - all of this land. I can't believe David made Care-A-Lot by himself. What a crazy thought.

Then the bells rang, which meant it was noon. They ring ever day at noon and 6:30pm. Fiona and I went inside and made lunch. Rice, lentils, fried zucchini and this cauliflower/potato/ginger mash up. Yum!

I do not like being bored. Or lonely. Both really suck. If I can keep busy then everything is A-ok. But it's the moments of down time that really get me. Or when the neighbors are coming in and out dropping stuff off or calling their kids home and everyone is chattering so fast and I don't understand anything they are saying. It's funny because I feel totally welcome here, but at the same time like such an outsider. I wish I could shake this sinus thing too. I am so tired of coughing and not being able to breathe. It's funny though, I'm used to it now.

Later in the evening Fiona dropped me and the girls off at the field at the bottom of the hill. She had a private English lesson and figured Gaia and I could watch Nila's football game while she was gone. Seemed easy enough, but jesus christ Gaia is a hand full. She is non stop and can be super obnoxious. But I love Italian accents speaking English. She drew a picture and came up to me and said "Thees ees a weetch." I love it.

Everyone got really into the game and it was funny hearing all the stuff they were screaming. Also - Italian snack bars - waaaaay better than anything I've ever encountered at home. Better than the concessions at Yankee Stadium even. Fresh bread with thinly sliced proscuitto, crepes with nutella, a pita with tomato, motzerella and balsamic. Seriously. None of this hot dog and nacho shit.

By the end of the game though Gaia was starting to get to me and I was checking my phone every few minutes dying for Fiona to get there. I was so happy to see her. I do babies. I don't do kids. No thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment